The City Planning Commission, established in 1936, is a 13-member panel responsible for the conduct of planning relating to the orderly growth and development of the city. The Commission meets regularly to hold public hearings and review and vote on applications related to the use and improvement of land, subject to city regulation and a con­sideration of environmental impacts. The Mayor appoints the Chairperson, who is also Director of the Department of City Planning (DCP), and six other members; each Borough President appoints one member and one member is appointed by the Public Advocate. The DCP provides technical support for the work of the Commission.